Football has significantly changed over the years and most teams concentrate mainly on the defensive aspect and are deficient when it comes to building chances from open play. Set pieces play an important role in the game-plan and are the primary source for goalscoring opportunities. In these conditions tall players are assets, regardless the position in the field. Striker’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic height is 1.95m tall but he is only the 4th tallest player in Ligue1:
1. Mamadou SAMASSA 25 , 2.02 m, 85 kg, keeper, EA Guingamp
2. Florent CHAIGNEAU 30 , 1.97 m, 94 kg, keeper, FC Lorient
3. Jérémy MALHERBE 23 , 1.96 m ,92 kg, keeper, Stade de Reims
4. Zlatan IBRAHIMOVIC 33 , 1.95 m, 95 kg, forward, Paris Saint-Germain
5. Cheick DIABATE 26 , 1.94 m ,88 kg, forward, Girondins de Bordeaux
Of course the tallest players are almost always keepers but we can also find another forward in the top 5. Striker Diabate is a key player for Bordeaux, even if he was injured for most of the season.
With emphasis on tactics and not free play, we should expect the number of tall players in Ligue1 to rise this season.