Ligue1 is considerably improved in comparison to previous years, and most probably the development will continue at a fast pace after EURO 2016 as well.
The Qatari investment in PSG increased fans’ appetite for world class football, and most teams in Ligue1 did everything possible to transfer-in skilled players in order to satisfy their supporters. A direct consequence of this phenomenon is the presence of many Ligue1 players in national teams.
There are a total of 22 Ligue1 players at EURO 2016, with France and Portugal leading the way with 5 players each. This is the full list of Ligue1 players at the EURO:
– Steve Mandanda (France/Olympique de Marseille), Benoît Costil (France/Rennes), Christophe Jallet (France/Olympique Lyon) , Samuel Umtiti (France/Olympique Lyon), Blaise Matuidi (France/PSG).
– Anthony Lopes (Portugal/Lyon), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal/AS Monaco), Raphaël Guerreiro (Portugal/FC Lorient), Joao Moutinho (Portugal/AS Monaco), Eder (Portugal/Lille).
– Lorik Cana (Albania/FC Nantes), Ermir Lenjani (Albania/FC Nantes).
– Salvatore Sirigu (Italy/PSG), Thiago Motta (Italy/PSG).
– François Moubandjé (Switzerland/Toulouse), Gelson Fernandes (Switzerland/Stade Rennais).
– Michy Batshuayi (Belgium/Olympique de Marseille).
– Danijel Subasic (Croatia/AS Monaco).
– Kolbeinn Sigthorsson (Iceland/FC Nantes).
– Kamil Grosicki (Poland/Stade Rennes).
– Jaroslav Plasil (Czech Republic/Girondins de Bordeaux).
– Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden/PSG).
While players like Ibrahimovic, Matuidi, Cana, Motta or Moutinho are undisputed leaders, others like Batshuayi or Guerreiro most probably will start only on the bench, but could prove to be wild cards once in the field.
This is our Ligue1 lineup for EURO 2016:
1. Subasic – keeper Monaco
2. Guerreiro – defender Lorient
3. Umtiti – defender Lyon
4. Carvalho – defender Monaco
5. Jallet – defender Lyon
6. Motta – midfielder PSG
7. Grosicki – midfielder Rennes
8. Matuidi – midfielder PSG
9. Moutinho – midfielder Monaco
10. Ibrahimovic – forward PSG
11. Batshuay – forward Marseille