Although it’s been a while since they last won a title (2009 – 2010 season), Marseille remains one of the most important sides in French football, with an impressive history (won 9 Ligue1 titles) and a huge fan base.
Marseille recently sold striker Batshuayi to Chelsea for 40 mil euro, a fee that sets a new record for the club. It will be really difficult for Marseille to replace Batshuayi, especially since a couple of other important players also left (fullback Mendy, keeper Mandanda, defender NKoulou, midfielder Romao) and they will have to reconstruct the entire team.
Olympique Marseille has been an attractive club for players worldwide, and important names in football (Ribery , Drogba) were proud to wear OM’s jersey. Fans surely would have preferred for those players to remain at the club, but Marseille chased-in considerable amounts from transfers. Here is the list with the highest fees received from transfers:
1. Michy Batshuayi, sold to Chelsea in 2016 (40 M€)
2. Didier Drogba, sold to Chelsea in 2004 (37 M€)
3. Franck Ribéry, sold to Bayern Múnich in 2007 (30 M€)
4. Giannelli Imbula, sold to Porto in 2015 (20 M€)
5. Florian Thauvin, sold to Newcastle in 2015 (17 M€)
6. Samir Nasri, sold to Arsenal in 2008 (16,8 M€)
7. Dimitri Payet, sold to West Ham in 2015 (15 M€)
8. Benjamin Mendy, sold to Mónaco in 2016 (15 M€)
9. Peter Luccin, sold to PSG in 2000 (13,7 M€)
10. Alen Boksic, sold to Lazio in 1993 (13,3 M€)